Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Memories


This past weekend was our 5th wedding anniversary. Randy has always said that you should return to your honeymoon destination for your 5th anniversary, but I was not going to travel to Baltimore, MD and Dover, DE with 2 children. He was thinking we should go without them, but I won't leave them behind for even a full weekend yet! Rather than stay at home and just go out for a fancy dinner, we decided to return to Maquoketa and spend the night in the hotel where we had our reception and stayed on our wedding night. Staying at that hotel made me realize just how much things have changed in the past 5 years!

First of all, the hotel was brand new when we had our reception there and it was beautiful. Fast forward 5 years and the decor looks kind of dated and the furnishings were starting to show some wear and tear. This is not unlike Randy and I! As I looked back at pictures from our wedding day we really looked like kids! I never thought that 5 years would make such a difference, but we look so much more, um, mature.

On our wedding day we fought over trivial issues such as whether or not there were enough tables for all of the guests that we were expecting (for the record, I said there were enough, and I was right!) Now our arguments are much more serious regarding major life issues such as moving, the kids, jobs, and money.

The day of our wedding Randy and his father were still working to fix the car that we took on our honeymoon, a sporty red cavalier. The car that overheated several times on our trip to the east coast and cost us one day of our vacation (which we spent at a dealership where they worked on our car and tried to sell us something newer). Now we have a sporty red minivan! At least it works all the time!

At one point last night while we were playing with Reese and Aidan in the pool, Randy turned to me and said, "This isn't as romantic as I had imagined it to be!" I just laughed. I never expected it to be romantic, just relaxing and that it was. I didn't have to cook or clean for an entire evening. We got to just hang out with the kids, who were really well behaved for the night. And I even had a few alcoholic beverages! There will be plenty of time for romance, maybe for our 10 year anniversary!

Some things have changed for the better though. For example, we were so tired on our wedding day that we ended up falling asleep in the hot tub and going to bed without consumating our wedding. Somehow this time after putting the kids to bed we still had the energy!

No comments: