Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Monday, June 1, 2009

Scary fever

I have been very lucky in that both of my children have been pretty healthy for the most part. We have not had to deal with anything much more than fevers for cutting teeth in the past two years. Tonight I finally got a real scare. Reese woke up from her nap and felt really warm, thinking that it was just from being wrapped up in the covers on her bed and the house being a little warm from having the windows open, I just took her clothes off. She has been snuggling with me for about half an hour until she wakes up and then she runs around like crazy until she goes to bed. After about a half an hour today she still felt warm and showed no signs of moving out of my lap. Then I noticed that she was breathing kind of funny, short and quick. I started to get all worked up that maybe it was related to her fall this past weekend, which we never took her to a doctor for. I called the doctors office and they had to have the nurse call me back, so I called Randy who was not available to calm me down. So I called my mom and asked her to come over and watch Aidan while I took Reese to the doctor. By this time I was starting to get hysterical because I had all kinds of crazy ideas running through my head! Before mom got here Aidan woke up and I started to feed him. The doctors office called back and said that if the fever or her breathing got worse to bring her in to be seen. Soon after I hung up Reese started kind of shaking and her eyes were rolling all over the place and closing. I kept asking her to look at me or say something and she just acted like she was going to go to sleep. I immediately set Aidan down and grabbed a cold washcloth and put it to her forehead. She wouldn't take it so I started a cool bath and gave her tylenol. Mom showed up just as I was putting her in the tub. Reese was fighting me, so I ended up stripping and getting in with her. She calmed down and we saw a difference almost immediately. She started playing with the toys and was wide awake. After half an hour we took her out of the tub and she was back to her normal self! I couldn't believe how quickly we saw a difference. We made some dinner and she ate a decent amount. Besides going to bed at 9pm, you would not have known the rest of the night that she had been sick at all. Thank god I haven't had to deal with that kind of thing very often because I did not handle the situation very well.

No comments: