Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

While at the play place at the mall today, Reese was trying to push a little girl out of the helicopter so that she could have it all to herself. Instinctively I yelled, "No, no Reese!" Immediately, the little girl that she had been pushing repeated what I said. Her grandmother then scolded her that they don't say that word. At first I was embarassed like I had done something wrong, but afterward I was pissed! Since when is saying no to a child something to be embarrassed about! It's not like I was screaming real expletives at her and I wasn't beating her (for the record I do believe in spanking). What does one do if their child is doing something that they don't want them to, could possibly hurt another child, and they are 10 feet away? I guess I should have gone up to Reese and calmly explained to her what she was doing wrong and why it was wrong (btw, I usually do this after yelling at her to stop and possibly putting her on timeout). Call me a bad mom if you want, but I feel that is the most effective way to get her attention at the moment. I bet that if I hadn't yelled at Reese and she successfully pushed the girl out of the helicopter that the grandmother still would have been mad!

No comments: