Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Thursday, May 14, 2009

The boy way?!

My sister is the mother of two beautiful little girls and really wants to have a little boy. I also desperately wanted a boy when we were trying to get pregnant last. I looked up on the internet to see if there was anything I could do to increase my odds of having a boy. Apparently if the egg is fertilized at the end of your fertile period it is more likely to be a boy. Don't ask me it was something to do with lazy swimmers! Anyway, we used this method and after 6 months (took a little while to get the timing just right, not too late but right at the end) we were finally pregnant. Imagine my suprise at 20 weeks when we found out that we were actually having a boy and it had worked! Anyway, I was explaining this whole process to my sister and she actually asked me when I knew I was fertile!? Are you kidding me, she has 2 kids already and she doesn't know how her cycle works! I guess my job at a family planning clinic gave me a little bit more knowledge on my monthly cycle than the average bear, but still! Are you kidding me! So I proceeded to explain to her in detail her monthly cycle.
It is really sad that there is not more of an informational standard in teaching people about reproduction. I think that it is horrible that we have an abstinence only approach in most schools. If they do discuss sex, it is only to show awful pictures of sexually transmitted diseases to enforce the abstinence only position. The saying goes that with a little boy, the parents only have 1 penis to worry about and with a little girl, you have every penis to worry about! As the mother of a little girl, I know that I will be teaching her everything that I can so that she can have all of the information necessary to make the right choice for her. I don't want her to be having random sex, but if she does, I at least want her to be protected. The same goes for my little boy, I don't think that he should be treated any differently because of his gender, he could suffer any of the same consequences as a girl. I don't believe that the information itself makes the child want to go out and experiment, I think it is not having the information that causes them to seek out the information for themselves.

No comments: