Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Terrible Twos







Today we had schedule a session to have both of the kids pictures taken as well as a new family photo. As my Mother's Day present Randy was going to allow me to spend whatever I wanted on pictures and not complain. Well, wouldn't you know that things couldn't go as perfectly as planned! Reese was up at 6 this morning and running around the house like a crazy person as I tried to get everybody washed up, ironed, dressed and pack the diaper bag with toys, treats, diapers and 10 changes of clothes. I fed her some of my cereal so as not to end up with banana in her hair and having to take a bath this morning. I showered and dressed and dressed Aidan. Finally at the last minute I chased her around the house pulling her clothes on to get her dressed for pictures. She always thinks that it is a game and that we are chasing her for fun! Not so much!
We get in the car and arrive at the photo place 20 minutes early. Their appointment is not there yet, but they decide to wait a few more minutes to make sure before they get us started. Five minutes later, we start with Aidan's pictures because Reese is busy playing with the toys, perfect! We get his individual shots with the 1st background done and decide to bring Reese in and take some shots together. Well she didn't want to stand by her brother, she wanted to play with the props. We finally got her to sit and take a few good pictures, then it was her turn. We thought she had picked one of the chairs out for pictures, but really just wanted to move all of the chairs in the place into the photo studio. The photographer snapped a few quick shots and then we tried to quickly move into a family pose. Reese immediately started crying when we tried to make her sit down by daddy. We tried moving her to sit by me and that didn't happen either. We bribed her with candy, spanked her bottom and tried to make her laugh with props. Now she was throwing a hissy fit on the floor. We left the room and gave her a talking to and took a five minute break. She had settled down, but as soon as we tried it again, you guessed it, hissy fit! Then Aidan started screaming for his feeding. Randy took Reese to the car, while I fed Aidan and picked out and purchased the photos holding back my tears. The poor photographer reassured me that this happens all of the time, but it didn't help.
Today just reminded me that I know my children's schedules and need to stick to that over whatever works for anyone else. I knew Randy would be pissy if we went over the weekend and they were busy, so I thought weekday would be best. He said this day before this time would work for him, so I called and scheduled it, thinking that it would be close to the time that she usually starts to get cranky and tired! Well it was and as a result, I didn't get the pictures I wanted (at least it saved Randy some money!) We will definitely be scheduling her upcoming birthday party for a time that best suits her schedule. If nobody comes because of that, then that is their loss. It is not worth it to me to have a party that everyone can attend, if she is tired and not behaving her best.

No comments: