Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sleep

Last night I realized just how lucky I am to have had babies that understood the difference between day and night at a very early age. Both of my babies were sleeping through the night by the time that they were just two weeks of age! According to most people that I have talked to this is very rare, especially for breast fed babies! Last night marked the first time in 10 weeks that I have been up for a late night feeding. Aidan woke up crying at 3am. Though his crying startled me awake, it was nice to have some time with him all to myself in the quiet of the middle of the night. I actually kind of feel cheated that I didn't get more of that time with them, especially since I was up anyway checking to make sure that they were still breathing!

This reminds me of a woman that I met at the doctor's office at my 6 week postpartum check up. She was sitting in a chair straight across from me and asked how old my baby was. I told her he was 6 weeks and she responded that hers was about the same age. She then asked if I was getting any sleep and if I had any suggestions on getting the baby to sleep more. It was then that I took in her total appearance, she had a scarf wrapped around her hair, no make up on, was dressed in a sweatsuit and looked like she was holding her eyes open with toothpicks. I couldn't tell her the truth, so I told her that I had an older daughter at home and that it gets better as they get older!

No comments: