Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Friday, June 12, 2009

World's worst mommy!

Today I had the house all cleaned up for the showing and was working on getting the kids out of the house and into the car. Reese jumped up into the car while I strapped Aidan in. When I went around to put her in her seat she was up front pretending to drive. I told her to hop in back so that we could go and she wouldn't budge. I counted to ten and asked her again to move to the back, but she was having too much fun. I opened the drivers door and pulled her towards me. I totall miscalculated how much room there was for her head and totally bumped her head on the car door. I kissed her forhead where I thought she had hit, held her until she calmed down and buckled her into her seat. I went to HyVee where I planned to get a few groceries and got the kids out of the car. When I got Reese out I noticed that her blanket had blood on it, so I checked her forhead again where I thought she had bumped, but there was nothing there. Her finger had blood on it so it dawned on me that her mouth was bleeding. I was completely taken aback when I found blood around her front tooth and noticed a chip in the corner. I took the kids in to get the few groceries that we needed while I decided what to do. Of course Randy had my dental insurance card because he couldn't find his, so I had to call him to get the information. Then I called the insurance company to see whether or not a visit would be covered or not and what dentist I should go to. I had been planning on finding a dentist to start her with regular cleanings and checkups, but hadn't gotten around to it yet! I got the information and called the dentist. They could get me in right away for we went straight there. Reese enjoyed all the toys at the office while I filled out all of the paperwork. Afterward they called us back. The dentist came in and asked me a few questions about her eating & brushing habits. Then she had me sit Reese in my lap and lay her head back onto the dentists' lap. She put some flouride on a toothbrush and quickly brushed Reeses' teeth. She then rinsed them and dried them. Somehow she had a chance to check out the tooth while she did this and Reese kicked and screamed the whole time. Reese sat back up and I held her to calm her down while the dentist explained to me that the tooth may change color because the tooth had actually moved and may have damaged the nerve underneath! At that time I really felt like the worst mother in the world! They said to call with any major changes and to come back in 3 months to recheck. By this time Aidan was crying hysterically for his lunch, so they rushed through the rest of the things I needed to do to care for the tooth, gave Reese a prize and we rushed out the door. Not exactly how I had forseen our first visit to the dentist going!

No comments: