Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Soccer mania

Last night I took the kids into the Y to finally get Reese signed up for soccer. I filled out all of the paperwork and payed the fee, making sure she was officially part of the team before getting her too excited. Even though I tried to reserve my excitement, Reese was pretty happy. As we were walking back to the car, she kicked at imaginary balls and yelled, "Reese scores a goal!"

Even better was Aidan's excitement for his sister. As we were leaving he started complaining, "But I wanted to watch Reese play soccer." I explained to him that it would be a few weeks before Reese actually started to play. Then he got upset that he would not be able to play soccer too. I immediately reminded him that Reese would need somebody to practice with at home and that he would make a great partner.

I never participated in any kind of sporting activity until middle school and by that time lacked the skills and knowledge that most of my classmates had gained by playing on youth teams and leagues. I don't want to go overboard and have her involved in different activities every night of the week, but I would like to expose her to a bunch of different activities so that she can choose the ones that she likes best and begin working on developing her skills as well as building friendships and learning about staying healthy. I don't have any expectations that she become a star athlete or top musician, but rather that she is active and involved in activities that she really enjoys.

No comments: