Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Friday, May 7, 2010

No Comparison

This past week has been an emotional roller coaster for me. It all started with my son's choking ordeal on Sunday. I have always been the one to want to take the kids to the doctor at the sign of any illness, while my husband is always saying to wait it out a little longer. When Aidan choked, we weren't sure that he had choked because he had been having symptoms of sore throat for about 24 hours. I felt that if we got him to calm down and quit crying that the barking cough he was making would stop. My husband, after talking to the ask a nurse line, was convinced that our son was dying and needed to be airlifted to the hospital (complete reversal of roles!) On our way to the hospital Randy made several off hand remarks that he was glad he had not been on the road because he did not think that I would have handled the situation appropriately and that he could not believe that I want to run a daycare. He said anything and everything to indicate that he thought I was a horrible mother, though once we got to the hospital, I couldn't get him off of his cell phone blackjack game to watch one of the kids so that I could go to the bathroom.
The day after the surgery I stayed home from work in order to take Aidan to the doctor and get him some medicine. On Tuesday Randy was staying home all day and Aidan was sleeping, so I asked if he would mind keeping the kids with him, rather than taking them to his mother's while I was at work. He decided to keep them with him even though he would be working some from home. When I got home from work around 1pm, he informed me that he thought that he did a better of being at home with the kids than I do because the kids were in bed and the house was cleaned. I pointed out that I clean house while the kids are napping, but they have been up and playing (messing up the house) for a few hours by the time he usually gets home.
Wednesday he informed me that I am not cool, because a mutual friend of ours went out partying over the weekend. I informed him that it was for a bachelorette party which her husband would not have been invited to and was therefore probably at home with their child while she was out partying. Our friend reinforced my opinion.

No comments: