Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fresh Perspective

The past two days I have been working full days for a co-worker who is out. Though a little bit difficult, the change of pace has been really good for me. Usually we sleep until Reese wakes us up between 6 and 6:30. We snuggle on the couch until Aidan wakes up. We usually play for a little while and then eat breakfast around 8am. After cleaning up the kitchen and making the beds, I start getting ready for work. This is where the kids start fighting, crying and getting into things that they should not- generally making it very difficult for me to do anything without stopping five times. I usually finish getting ready just in time to dress the kids and run out the door to drop them off at their grammy's.
This week I have had to be to work by 8 am, so our whole schedule has been moved up by 2.5 hours. Rather than lounging around the house after getting up at 6am, I have been rushing to get in the shower before Reese wakes up. After she wakes up we snuggle a minute and then I try to dry my hair and do my makeup before Aidan wakes up. Right after Aidan wakes up, we eat breakfast and clean up. Then I dress the kids and run out the door around 7:45.
I love being at home with the kids, but I have been so frustrated with dealing with the fighting in the morning. Having to be out the door so much earlier completely cut out that time that they have to entertain themselves while I try to get myself ready for work.
On top of being easier for me, I think that Reese has gained an appreciation of our time together. She told me several times that she wanted me to stay at home with her and has run and jumped into my arms when I went to pick them up.
The past 2 days have also been really good for me. I really enjoyed my time at work and felt a purpose that I have not had in over a year. Though I do still want to be home with my kids, I need to find something to do where I can feel valuable to my family. I also have a renewed energy for playing with and enjoying my kids. I had really started to take that time with them for granted and would push them away to do something that I needed to do, such as cleaning, or something I wanted to do, such as checking my email.

No comments: