Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Everyone Poops

My main goal over the summer was to potty train my son. While we were successful in getting him to "peep" on the toilet, pooping on the toilet was not even close! He does let us know that he has to poop by telling us several times that he has to go "peep" but not doing anything when he sits on the toilet. Recently he has strictly been pooping during naptime or at night when he wears a pullup to bed. When he "woke up" about 30 minutes later than normal one day with poop all up his back and all over his room, I realized that he was avoiding using the toilet. Since he is not motivated by candy or sweets, and is completely obsessed with matchbox cars, I decided that I would use cars as a motivator. I immediately went out and bought several cars and put them in a bucket in the bathroom. I promised Aidan that he could pick out one car everytime that he pooped on the toilet and told him that I would take one car away every time he pooped in his underpants/pullups. He immediately wanted to sit on the toilet and poop, so I was sure I was mom of the year that he understood the deal and would be on his way to being fully trained. He sat until bedtime but could not go, so I put him to bed and told him we could try in the morning. The next day at grammy's he had a potty accident, which he had not done in a very long time, so I took a car away from him and put it in the bucket in the bathroom. That very same night, he told me that he had to poop and actually went on the toilet. Yay, he got his car back! Last night Aidan told me that he had to go poop and after getting him to the bathroom, I discovered that he had already started to go in his pants. I was very disappointed and contemplated taking a car away again, but since he had diarrhea, I gave him some slack and actually let him pick a car for finishing on the toilet. I am hoping that now we are really on our way to being fully trained!

No comments: