Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

'Not the Best Mommy"

The kids have recently picked up a phrase which I hate. Whenever they are mad at me or do not like something that I have asked them to do, they respond with, "You are not the best mommy!"
For the first several months after Reese was born, I berated myself on an almost daily basis about the things that I did not do perfectly. Eventually, I realized that there will always be somebody that is more patient, a better housekeeper, more organized, etc and that I needed to focus on the things that are important to me and my family first and to let the other things slide. I kept this in mind as I responded to my kids hurtful accusation.
Though I was hurt by the kids saying this at first, I responded, "I am your mommy and I do the best I can for you." After 4 years as a parent, I truly believe what I say. I know that I will never be the best mommy, but I will be the best mommy that I can be for my kids!

No comments: