Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Healthier Lifestyle

After a recent checkup, my husband's doctor instilled a real fear that he would need a blood transfusion or liver transplant. Thankfully, an internist disagreed with these concerns. Though he disagreed that my husband's liver would cause his untimely demise, he did believe that issues with weight and heart disease would be a more likely culprit. Though we were relieved that his liver was not the issue, we have agreed not to become complacent. After his initial diagnosis with diabetes two years ago, we eradicated all cookies, chips and ice cream from the house. We also cut back on eating out and substituted salads and healthier options for fries whenever possible. We lost weight and were feeling better. Then slowly we started to slide back into old habits. Two years later, the chips and ice cream have made their way back into the house. We are eating out several times a week and definitely not making the healthiest choices. When Randy's doctor referred him to the internist, I began to really think about what it would be like to raise our children as a widow. Randy kept saying that I would have plenty of money to survive, but the money could never replace him, for me or the kids. This also got me thinking about my health. I have always been overweight and would not want the kids to be left with no parents because I did not take care of myself and my health. When the internist told us that losing weight should be our focus, we were both relieved that major medical interventions would not be necessary and resolved to living a healthier lifestyle. After a weekend spent planning a menu and shopping to stock up our pantry, we are starting our healthier lifestyle tomorrow. It will be a lifestyle because we plan to adopt this healthier way of eating and living for a lifetime, there will be no sliding back into old habits. On top of eating more healthfully, I also plan to work out several days a week. I plan to follow the South Beach diet. I have about 90 pounds to lose to be within a healthy range for my height, 5'8". At a healthy rate of lose of 2 pounds per week, that would put me at about 1 year to reach my goal loss. I will post my struggles and achievements weekly along with the following statistics:
Day 0
Starting Weight: 240
Total Weight Loss: 0
Goal Weight: 150
Bust Measurement: 44
Waist Measurement: 45
Hip Measurement: 48
Thigh Measurement: 24
Arm Measurement: 14

No comments: