Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Monday, April 11, 2011

Scared of the dark

This afternoon while playing outside, Reese and I went inside to change her shoes. I left the doors between the garage, pantry and sunroom open. After changing Reese's shoes, I got distracted with getting the patio chair cushions out of the attic and putting them on the chairs on the front deck. About 10-15 minutes later I decided to go to the backyard to check on Aidan (whom I had left outside with his father). As I rounded the garage, I heard Aidan crying. I ran into the garage and pulled open the garage door to the house and found him shut in the pantry in the dark and screaming! He must have followed Randy into the house and somehow both doors closed on him. I immediately picked him up and he snuggled right into my shoulder, sobbing uncontrollably. He kept saying, "dark", "scared". I carried him out onto the deck and rocked with him for a good five minutes before he calmed down. After he calmed down, I offered to go get him some jelly beans. Reese was so sweet and offered to snuggle with him while I ran in the house to get the jelly beans. She sat on the porch swing and I helped to sit him in her lap. I heard him telling her all about his ordeal in the dark, scary room as I ran into the house to get them a snack. It made my heart melt to see them comforting each other! It made me realize that they do love each other and can lean on each other in tough times.

No comments: