Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Monday, April 25, 2011

A new tradition

We have several traditions for Easter, including baskets full of goodies from the Easter bunny, brunch with my extended family and dinner with my husband's family. As a kid I remember dying eggs but we have never tried it with the kids. Finally, this year I decided that we needed to add egg dying to our Easter traditions.
Fortunately for me, the carton of eggs gave easy directions for boiling eggs! I told you the last time I did this I was a kid and we do not eat hard boiled eggs, egg salad or deviled eggs. After boiling the eggs, I set up all of the supplies from a kit we had purchased. I got Reese a pair of gloves to wear to prevent staining her hands with the dye. Then she picked the colors which I squeezed into the baggie with the egg. We then rubbed the dye into the egg. She really wanted to do it by herself, but I was afraid of the egg falling out of the baggie.

I then sat Aidan down to help me color the eggs. He picked colors as well as he could (repeating the color choices I gave him) and really enjoyed rubbing the color into the egg.

When we were finished we had nine beautifully tie-dyed eggs!

It was a lot of fun, but I think that next year we will try a different method to give the kids a little bit more freedom to do it by themselves.

No comments: