Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Kid Free Vacation

Over the past 3 1/2 years we have left the kids in the capable hands of our family members for the occassional quiet dinner for two or night out on the town with friends. Though I usually enjoy these outings and come back to the kids feeling refreshed, I prefer to spend my time with the kids. Tomorrow night we will be taking the kids to my moms' house to spend three days while we fly to Jamaica for Randy's brothers wedding. It will be the first time that we have left the kids longer than overnight. Am I nervous? Yes!!!!! I am worried that the kids will think that we are not coming back for them. I am worried that something could happen with our plane and we would not make it back. I am worried that the kids will misbehave for my mom (she raised 5 kids single-handedly, so my two should not be that difficult, I hope!). I am worried that I will forget to pack something for them. The list of worries is endless, and for the most part ridiculous!
For as much as I am worried about the trip, I am also very excited! I have not felt very connected to my husband as of late, and am looking forward to some time to concentrate on us without the distraction of the kids. I am also looking forward to visiting a new place and flying in a plane (I have not flown in 12 years!) Finally, I am excited to share in the nuptials of my brother-in-law and his future wife.
I know that I am thankful for the snow days spent snuggling and playing with the kids leading up to our trip. I am sure that once the trip has started it will fly by in the blink of an eye. I am also certain that the kids and my mom will enjoy the time that they have together. I know my mom has a pretty full agenda, including taking the kids to see their cousins! I can't wait to hear all of the highlights of their visit from my mom and the kids. I know that it will be good for the kids and I to spend some time apart and fostering other relationships. I know that this trip is going to make me yearn for spring and warmer weather!
Thankfully, just 6 short weeks after returning from the wedding, we will be headed to Pensacola, Fl with the kids for some sun, sand and fun as a family!

No comments: