Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bad Parents vs Good Parents

On a recent dinner outing with friends we ordered the kids each their own kids meals with a pop and french fries. Our friends ordered a kids meal with juice and fruit. After leaving the restaurant and heading home Randy confessed that that was the first time in his life as a parent that he felt like a bad father. I told him that I have felt that way everyday for the past 3 1/2 years!

Though I know that we are not bad parents, there has rarely been a day since the birthy of our oldest, when I have not worried about what someone thinks about the choices that I have made in raising my children or compared myself to other parents my age. I feel that technology such as Facebook and blogs has increased my feelings of inadequacy as parents my age are constantly posting about their adventures in making homemade baby food, not ever feeding their children fast food, bragging about how long they were able to breast feed, delivering their children with or without pain meds, teaching their infants to read and the ultimate hot topic: staying home versus working moms.

I have come to the realization that not all people are going to use the same methods of child-rearing and that just because I do things differently than someone else, does not make me a bad parent. Though I realize some people are going to do things differently, the challenge is going to be not allowing myself to feel guilty or inadequate when I do not do something the same as others do.

No comments: