Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Parenting is hard!

My mother has always told me stories of what a great kid I was growing up. I would sit in my playpen and look at books or watch tv for hours while she and my dad did the chores on the farm. For some reason I expected that when I had children they would be much like me, WRONG! Reese is the most stubborn child I know. I have actually reached a breaking point and don't know exactly what to do or who to talk to. Everything we do turns into a screaming, fit throwing temper tantrum and I don't know exactly how this got started and how to make it stop. For instance, Reese used to love to take baths, but somewhere around the age of 1 she started throwing a fit when I went to wash her hair and body. She screams and thrashes in the tub while I do all of the washing, through drying her off and getting her dressed and more when I comb out her hair. Tonight I actually got into the tub with her and washed her hair and body without a single instance until I went to brush out her hair. I have been trying to potty train her for almost 9 months and have stopped several times when she throws a hissy fit at sitting on the toilet. She will kick, scream and flail around on the floor while I try to make her sit down on the toilet. It seems to have gotten worse since I have been home with her full time. So rather than letting her set the schedule I am enforcing a schedule that I set. This has helped to make bedtime smoother, though toothbrushing is still an ordeal! At first I thought that it was just terrible twos, but I have never seen a child act like this before. I will just have to stick to my routines and try to keep my patience and hope that this too will one day pass!

No comments: