Parenting Story

Parenting Story

Monday, February 11, 2013

Weekend Getaway

Randy and I recently took advantage of an invitation to my cousin's wedding and made it an adults only getaway. Being back to work and away from home 2 nights a week to attend classes, I was really hesitant to take a day away from my precious little time with the kids, but also realize that I need to make more time for Randy and I as a couple. After swim lessons, we grabbed a quick lunch and dropped the kids off with aunt Linda. My guilt was all for naught, because the kids were so excited to play with Linda and Lindsay that they barely had time to say goodbye. Getting back into the car without the kids was weird, but nice at the same time. We actually got to hold an adult conversation without interruption, or worrying what the kids would overhear. Halfway there, Randy realized that he forgot his dress shoes, so we stopped at Kohl's in Coralville and got to experience shopping, completely kid-free! After picking up some shoes, we drove straight to the hotel. The Hawkeyes were playing, so while Randy ran around trying to get the game on- the hotel did not have the right channel- I read a few chapters for my class. We lost track of time and soon my sister was calling to ask where we were. We jumped into the shower and ran out the door to meet up with my siblings for a pre-reception cocktail. By the time we arrived at the reception, most everyone was already seated. Thankfully, mom had gone and saved us a table. We opened the first of many bottles of wine and had a blast catching up and laughing. We stayed through most of the dance and excused ourselves for a little date, going out on the town in Cedar Falls and reminiscing on our college days. The next morning we realized that though it was fun to reminisce, we are definitely not college students any longer. After a quick breakfast, we drove straight to Linda's to pick up the kids. Our absence definitely had an effect on the kids as they were very happy to see us walk in the door! In the end, though I was reluctant to take the time away, I realize that it is necessary for all of us to have that time apart and I am definitely going to try to make it more of a priority!

No comments: